PDA

View Full Version : Adding the rear view map light & thermometer display

jeeplj
05-07-2012, 03:29 PM
I had the optional thermometer and map lights on the rear view mirror on my first 2004 LJ. Was a really nice feature that I miss now.

When I bought this wrecked 2006 LJ rubicon I noticed it did not have it on it. Just thought it was standard but apparently not. Fortunately, I happened to notice the sensor up front in the grill and the wiring harness pigtail was right in center of dash under that black dash trim piece. So, found a mirror and attached harness from a wrecked one and it should arrive soon. Will be walking through the upgrade piece once I get it.

Anyone else done this upgrade/mod?

Matt

jscherb
05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I've done it. You're lucky you have the harness under the dash, my LJ (the Retro Wrangler) did not have the wiring harness under the dash, so I had to add that to mine as well.

There should be two sensors behind the grille. One is the ambient temperature sensor which is input to the engine computer, the other is the temp sensor for the mirror. If you only saw one sensor behind the grille then it's not the one you want.

When I installed a temp/compass mirror in the Retro, I found a compatible temp sensor in the junkyard, it was on a GM vehicle. I may have photos of the GM sensor, so it you need a sensor let me know and I'll dig up whatever info I have on it.

bigwalton
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Definitely an option, I remember specifically leaving it out on the one that we tried to order and mine doesn't have it either.

1 Long TJ
10-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Does the light come on with the interior lights? In other words could I use the factory harness to control a non-temp. mirror/map light?
Also, I'm assuming there is another harness that has to go from top of dash to mirror?

Ricky
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Does the light come on with the interior lights? In other words could I use the factory harness to control a non-temp. mirror/map light?
Also, I'm assuming there is another harness that has to go from top of dash to mirror?

All of the newer model TJ/LJ's have the harness under the small dash piece inside nearest to the windshield.
Then there is another harness that takes it from under that, up the pass side header (under the plastic) and to just above where the mirror mounts.
I may have a few spare harnesses..
Ricky

1 Long TJ
10-22-2012, 10:26 PM
If you have an extra, let me know how much.

1 Long TJ
01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
I see the temp. sensor on the left. I also see a unused harness plug on the bottom right inside the grill. Is this the plug for the mirror temp. sensor?

1 Long TJ
05-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm still curious about this setup. Can anyone confirm where the mirror temp. sensor is suppose to be? Does it use the harness I found inside the grill? Are the two sensors the same? Where does the temp. sensor harness tie into the the mirror harness, or is it all in one? Can I make one from scratch with any mirror & sensor combo and splice it into the window/dash harness for power?

scjeeper
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
All of the newer model TJ/LJ's have the harness under the small dash piece inside nearest to the windshield.
Then there is another harness that takes it from under that, up the pass side header (under the plastic) and to just above where the mirror mounts.
I may have a few spare harnesses..
Ricky

My 05 LJ doesn't have harness under the dash :-( I bought the mirror and other harness based on hearing a couple of years ago that all 05 & 06 TJ/LJ s had it. I still haven't figured how to wire in into the Jeep.

1 Long TJ
09-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Probably won't work. You should sell those items to me.

1 Long TJ
11-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I decided I didn't have the time to do a GM junk yard version. Instead, I pulled the trigger on a complete factory setup on Ebay. Mirror, harness, & temp.sensor. Plug & play. With the price of gas, I might have actually come out ahead.
If anyone needs them, I've got an extra temp.sensor plug w/pigtail and an extra dash harness plug w/pigtail.

Here's a link for a junkyard version.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/compass-temp-auto-dim-mirror-swap-detailed-lots-o-pics-952705/

Bad Karma
11-15-2013, 09:11 AM
link for the auction?

1 Long TJ
11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
It was on Ebay and I bought it. Auction over. ???

Bad Karma
11-17-2013, 11:40 AM
just curious of the seller. sometimes they have more than one.

1 Long TJ
11-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Sorry, here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121191866271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2371wt_1292

jeeplj
01-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Finally got this installed earlier in the summer. Adding a few pictures of where the pigtails are at.

Keep in mind the sensor on the front grill is moved a bit from where it normally is because this grill is from a 98.

Compass works but the Temp is just reading "OC" all the time? I don't have a owners manual. anyone know what that is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 Long TJ
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Mine read OC until I hooked up the temp. sensor (on the driver's side).

jeeplj
01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Mine read OC until I hooked up the temp. sensor (on the driver's side).

interesting.. I've got another LJ sitting here at the shop at the moment (that does not have the temp/compass mirror) but does have the sensor in the grill. I might swap the sensor on this one and see if thats the issue before buying a new sensor.

Matt

1 Long TJ
01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I can only assume the two sensors are the same. The one on the passenger side is for the engine/computer. Driver side is for the mirror (on my 06).

jeeplj
01-10-2014, 04:38 PM
ah.. the other one was tucked back under the headlight. This was a wrecked LJ that had fixed and put a new front clip on. I had remembered pulling the passenger (engine) sensor out, but I guess I had just tucked the driver (mirror/compass) back under the headlight because it didn't have a sensor on it.

Pull it out and plugged in the sensor. All works ok. Just need to mount the driver (compass/mirror) one.

jeeplj
01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
noticed that the LJ has a "silent siri". Got in the other morning and never had noticed before but the display read "ICE". Guess the chances of that happening down here are pretty rare which is why I never saw it before.

Whats some of the other words that I haven't discovered yet.

"ROCKS"
"TIPSY"

Bad Karma
01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
noticed that the LJ has a "silent siri". Got in the other morning and never had noticed before but the display read "ICE". Guess the chances of that happening down here are pretty rare which is why I never saw it before.

Whats some of the other words that I haven't discovered yet.

"ROCKS"
"TIPSY"

My LJ compliments me alot in the winter... "NICE"