PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor resistor install

bigwalton
09-16-2012, 02:44 AM
I lost the lowest two speeds on the fan but still had AC and heat. That meant blower motor resistor, luckily it's cheap and easy to replace.

Open the glovebox (interesting side note you may not be aware of, there's a map of the fusebox that's behind the glovebox on the right hand side of the glovebox.) Slide out the strap and hold onto the glovebox while you open it wide, it will come loose from the dash.

Disconnect the radio antenna wire to make room, the blower motor resistor is below the green connector in the right of the picture.

Here you can see the top screw (8mm) on the blower motor resistor just below the green connector.

Under the dash, pull the courtesy light to get better access. (phillips head)

bigwalton
09-16-2012, 03:39 AM
This is the bottom screw from under the dash, you also see the resistor connector. I left the connector attached until I pulled the resistor, it was much easier to get at after it was removed.

It was easier to remove the green plug, pop the red lock to the left and pull it loose. The top plug is held onto a retainer, you have to slide it down to get it off.

This gives full access to the screws and plug for the resistor.

Once the bolts are out, the resistor pulls right out (the business end is actually in the airbox to help cool it while it's doing it's thing) and you can hang it down underneath the dash. This is the old, toasted unit that only worked on the two highest settings.

You have to pop the red locking piece up, it was very stubborn on mine and I had to go at it with a flathead screwdriver. Then the resistor pops loose.

bigwalton
09-16-2012, 03:55 AM
New resistor hotness ready to go back in.

Installation is the reverse of disassembly. Enjoy your full range of blower speeds. :punk:

jeepnv
05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Replaced my resistor yesterday, this thread was very helpfull. Except for big gompy hands I had no trouble. thankyou Big walton

bigwalton
05-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Right on, good stuff!

jeeplj
01-08-2014, 11:02 AM
this is great.. I was just about to post something about the fan switch. My lower 2 went out over the weekend and will now use this to check.

thanks Eric.. great documentation.....