City/State
    Portsmouth, VA
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Rebuild a locker. I need advice please.

I was given a locker with the outer portion of one of the cross pins ground up pretty bad and the 4.56 gears he we using with it. I have not dismantled the locker but a visual inspection with a pen light shows the rest of the locker 'appears' to be in good condition. The ring and pinion also appear to be in good condition. My friend replaced everything with a Detroit Locker and 4.88 gears.

I'd like to try my hand at rebuilding the locker and using it in my Jeep. The rebuild kit is $200 vice $800+ for a brand new locker. I don't have a lot of knowledge with all of the mechanical workings of lockers but I have my thoughts on what happened.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm guessing somehow the wrong ring & pinion was used for this locker or it was not installed correctly. Despite the ring & pinion appearing to be in good condition, the centrifugal force allowed the locker's cross pin to float out and contact the pinion. Can anyone confirm this and maybe provide a fix to prevent this from happening again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Re: Rebuild a locker. I need advice please.

Wow, missed this post. How much is missing off the shaft that got ground up? I'm surprised the gears are in good shape if that kind of thing was going on and the ground up metal was in the gear oil.

Is it a Rubicon locker? I'm not familiar enough with the guts of the axle/locker to know how it goes together, seems like something was very wrong to allow that to happen.

Any spring force in the case that you'd have to watch for on disassembly? I know there is in a Detroit.

Curious what you do/did.

Thread Information