Year Purchased

Re: it's Elmo's world

Very cool!!

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Rough Country hydraulic hood assist installed! Not quite per instructions, but hey, it works. I'm so short I can't lift the hood high enough to properly use the stock hood prop. Still needs a little fine tuning. My boyfriend installed it while I was at work one day and then b*tched about it, so I'm gonna leave it as is for awhile.

Last edited by EllJay05; 01-02-2015 at 06:19 PM.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

What's not per the instructions about it? Is there an easy way to disconnect it in case you want to lay the hood all the way back?

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

In the video and the printed instructions, the arms connect closer to the wide part of the hood bracket (there are several holes all along the edges). We did that first and it did fly up a lot higher... than I could ever reach it. Plus I hope to have a hi-lift up there at some point and don't wanna smash the cowl.

If you look closely, you can see that the little bar thingy that connects to the grille is being pulled up slightly on the passenger side like the hydraulic rod is set too far from the bracket. Turns out everything under the hood is not as symmetrical as it looks. I think the hydraulic bar should probably be connected one notch lower on the hood bracketto correct this. But it's all a real game of fine tuning and complicated geometry to get the hood raised evenly and not bottom out the hydraulic bars when you close the hood. I'm sure every Jeep is a little different too.

The rods just connect with a ball-and-socket type connection, so you can probably pull them off to lay the hood back all the way.

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

D-rings finally added to my RC stubby. Hope to paint them red some day when it's not 30 degrees out, LOL

also found some red-housed LED pods. They're kinda big and obnoxious, but they're pretty bright! They are mounted, but I don't have them wired in yet. Not 100% positive I'll leave them up there. Was hoping to have some that didn't hang past the edge of the windshield

the zip tie is to keep my antenna from slapping the front of the light.

City/State
    Spanish Fork, UT
    LJ Year

Sweed LED pods. Love me a Red LJ. lookin good!

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

got 'em all wired in now. First shot is headlights only, 2nd pic is with bumper LEDs and the third pic is all 3.

unfortunately there wasn't very much in front of me to shine them on for comparison. They were put on in the daytime so I'll still have to aim them better.

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

ever since I put the hood assist on my hood has been a little floppy in the wind, so I swapped out to a different latch yesterday

also installed new LED taillights with reverse

working on installing the longarm kit at the moment. Gotta order a few more parts like adjustable tracbar and extended brake lines. Of course Rough Country closed 5 minutes before I could call them on Saturday, grrrrr..... Had I have known my better half and his dad were going to do this, I would have ordered this stuff weeks ago and had it waiting. Now, I have a ride in TX coming up in less than 2 weeks and we're on a deadline. Grumble....

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

longarms installed! Ended up with wrong swaybar links, but the proper ones should come today.

My baby is growing up!

Wheels/tires up next, hopefully next couple of weeks.

City/State
    Spanish Fork, UT
    LJ Year

Can you flip you rear long arms? Im just curious because mine are straight and I drag them on EVERYTHING! I'm in the middle of making some that are bent for high clearance..

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

you're the 2nd person to point that out in the same day. Lemme check how they are oriented on my old TJ. My better half put them on at another house and honestly I haven't really looked at them much.

City/State
    Charleston, SC
    LJ Year

Yea they are upside down for sure.

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

He did that on my old TJ too (smacks head). They're both on my trailer at the moment. Everything is strapped down and we're leaving early in the morning so it'll have to wait until next weekend :(

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

He says they already hit the frame when flexed upward but we'll look into it later...

Honestly all of this was kinda thrown together at the last minute and I've only driven it about 25 miles (back home) since the kit went on. Probably several kinks to work out.

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Got 'em swapped around

Thread Information