City/State
    Columbia, MD
    LJ Year
    Still looking

How many miles is too many?

Hi all

I'm dangerously close to trading my pickup in for a 2004 (no OPDA woes!) lj soft top. It has a small lift, 31" tires, aftermarket rear bumper/tire carrier, 90k miles and auto trans. Believe it has stock axle gearing... Needs to be changed to 4.11 or 4.56 gears...don't think I'd ever go bigger than 33" tires and I'd like to cruise comfortably at 70 but still have some get-up-and-go
    I'm pretty excited as this will be my very first jeep! So much to learn and I'm ready to start!

I'll be in Hawaii the next few years for work and figured I'd be one of those guys with the doorless jeep and just a bikini top on it :)
    But I didn't want a reg tj, I drove one of those for a couple days and found it to be a bit cramped. And then I discovered the pre jk unlimiteds!
    Here's a link to the jeep I'm looking at:
    http://w1w024.financeexpress.com/cli...ory_ID=2544608

But back to the topic of the thread; how many miles is too many for these nearly a decade old jeeps/motors? Seems a bit tricky to find one with <90k and still <$14k
    I had a 2001 xj back in 2006 with the 4.0 and thought it was just a great little motor!

City/State
    Iron City, TN
    LJ Year

Re: How many miles is too many?

I'd have no problem with the mileage if its history checks out. Two owner so I'd like to know something about them, i. e was one or both driven by teenagers?

These 4.0s have many times eclipsed 200k mileage. I'd check everything else more so than the engine. Not that I know of any problems but I'd seek input on how the automatics hold up. I've only had experience with manual transmissions.

Good luck with your choice.

City/State
    Columbia, MD
    LJ Year
    Still looking

Thanks Johnny, it is reassuring to hear about the longevity of these little inline six's. I have a 67 ford club wagon that has a 240 inline 6 as well and it has well over 200k (not sure of exact as the odometer quit years ago).

i'll have to do some digging to see if any issues arise with the auto trans over time, but nothing comes to mind right now. this particular jeep seems to have stock axle gearing (3.73?) and if has been running 31" tires for its whole life the engine and trans have been working a bit harder (at least at highway speeds). Theres a good chance i will be going to look at it in person either this afternoon or this evening, at which point i'm going to see what manufacturer produced the lift it has.. at least i think it has a lift.. dealer is unsure at this point but it sure doesnt look stock height.

i will also be getting a carfax report once i get there as well. Dealer emailed back and said the jeep "has a clean carfax history report" but i would also like to know who owned it and if they've maybe re-geared the axles or anything else they might have done to it or how it was driven.
    a neat trick my dad taught me was that when you look at a used car, always turn on the radio and see what stations are on the pre-sets; gives you a small insight of the previous owner's personality/tastes.
    IE Rock = prolly rode hard and put away wet
    Jazz = easy driving
    Country = prolly less pavement driving (possibly drunk driving -- just kidding!!!)

you get it.
    think theres anything else i should be actively checking? i've pretty much made my mind up that this is the jeep for me and my family, but if i can spot something major, it could be a deal breaker; if not a way to get the price down ;)

-Jason

City/State
    Lexington, SC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

diddo what is said above.. I've had various TJ and LJ's with 4.0's and I love that engine and drivetrain more than anything Jeep makes today.

I just bought a 04 LJ with 127k on it and it runs and drives just as strong as my 06 that had 60k on it. As long as they are reasonably taken care of they will run for quite a while. Just a strong engine and wish they would not have done away with the engine.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetRider View Post
    Thanks Johnny, it is reassuring to hear about the longevity of these little inline six's. I have a 67 ford club wagon that has a 240 inline 6 as well and it has well over 200k (not sure of exact as the odometer quit years ago).

i'll have to do some digging to see if any issues arise with the auto trans over time, but nothing comes to mind right now. this particular jeep seems to have stock axle gearing (3.73?) and if has been running 31" tires for its whole life the engine and trans have been working a bit harder (at least at highway speeds). Theres a good chance i will be going to look at it in person either this afternoon or this evening, at which point i'm going to see what manufacturer produced the lift it has.. at least i think it has a lift.. dealer is unsure at this point but it sure doesnt look stock height.

i will also be getting a carfax report once i get there as well. Dealer emailed back and said the jeep "has a clean carfax history report" but i would also like to know who owned it and if they've maybe re-geared the axles or anything else they might have done to it or how it was driven.
    a neat trick my dad taught me was that when you look at a used car, always turn on the radio and see what stations are on the pre-sets; gives you a small insight of the previous owner's personality/tastes.
    Jazz = easy driving
    Country = prolly less pavement driving (possibly drunk driving -- just kidding!!!)

you get it.
    think theres anything else i should be actively checking? i've pretty much made my mind up that this is the jeep for me and my family, but if i can spot something major, it could be a deal breaker; if not a way to get the price down ;)

-Jason

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

just check for rust on the frame and ask for a Carfax. You won't find any info on the demographics of the previous owners, but I think it'll show you how long each one had it, and what states it was ever registered in. That will give you a little info on what terrain it may have dealt with in previous ownerships.

City/State
    Iron City, TN
    LJ Year

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetRider View Post

Jazz = easy driving

you get it.

-Jason
    Take a GPS along when you test drive it and see if the speeds match. I think, but do not know for certain, that all the LJs came with 30 inch tires stock. If 31s are on it and the speedo gear is for 30s the mileage will be slightly underreported. Another way to say that is 31s with a 30 gear will say you are going slower (traveling less) than you actually are.

City/State
    Iron City, TN
    LJ Year

I just did the math and on 90k miles the under would be less than 3k miles so probably not enough to even bring up.

City/State
    Columbia, MD
    LJ Year
    Still looking

i had done set up my phone to do a "speed check" and the difference was unnoticeable, if there was any. but i had thought about that too when first looking at it!

oh i should at least tell everyone that i did end up getting the 04 LJ w/ 90k on it that i was referring to :)

the fluids under the hood need some attention... oil looks about toast, brake fluid is beer colored, and either the PO used orange delco coolant in it or the green coolant is pretty rusty. either way, it will be flushed along with the oil change and brake fluid. While bleeding the brakes, i will then be going through the brakes a bit more thoroughly, and swapping one of the tires for the full sized spare.
    the wheels and tires fitted to this jeep are directional, and the front driver tire is on backwards... and the spare is mounted on the rim the for the left side so i will swap them out. the tires are brand new, had to remove the "tire barcode sticker" before test driving it. good news : new tires! bad; can't check for irregular wear...
    seems to go down the road straight, no death wobble. it has a what looks like a 2" lift achieved by spring pucks, and the front suspension seems to be much stiffer than the rear... maybe different springs? my imagination? lol

oh, and another thing i should add; i had it stuck in the mud not more than 24 hrs after purchasing it ;)
    needs lockers and poss. a winch :D

City/State
    Sycamore, Il
    LJ Year

I have a 06 with 238000 miles. Auto,33's 4 inch lift. Daily driver and a trail rig. Still running strong. Maintenance is everything.

Thread Information