City/State
    Leesville, SC
    LJ Year

DIY Hardtop Cart

I've been putting off taking the hardtop back off the LJ because I didn't have a good way to store it. So, Tripp and I decided to break out the saws and build a cart. I looked at a few different designs online. We took some ideas from others and then winged it a little, and came up with this:

59" across the back, sides are 30". We stuck 2 pieces of 6" long 2x4 on the ends to keep it from sliding. The back spacer is about 5". The 1x4 across the front holds the window closed. We used tool box drawer liner for the padding, which works very well because it's non-slip, and it has some Harbor Freight cheapo casters.

The point of doing the stand up cart was to be able to hang the doors on the wall and roll the top up around them. My full hard doors and 2 piece soft doors fit nicely behind it.

City/State
    Memphis area, TN
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Re: DIY Hardtop Cart

that's the most organized garage I've ever seen, LOL

City/State
    Leesville, SC
    LJ Year

Just one wall is organized, the rest is a wreck.

City/State
    Lexington, SC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

This turned out very nice. Thanks larry for Bringing the posting and information over here as I'm sure a lot of people fight with storing the hardtop and especially chewing up the additional space an LJ top takes.

How tipsy is it once its on the cart?

matt

Quote Originally Posted by LBarr2002 View Post
    I've been putting off taking the hardtop back off the LJ because I didn't have a good way to store it. So, Tripp and I decided to break out the saws and build a cart. I looked at a few different designs online. We took some ideas from others and then winged it a little, and came up with this:

59" across the back, sides are 30". We stuck 2 pieces of 6" long 2x4 on the ends to keep it from sliding. The back spacer is about 5". The 1x4 across the front holds the window closed. We used tool box drawer liner for the padding, which works very well because it's non-slip, and it has some Harbor Freight cheapo casters.

The point of doing the stand up cart was to be able to hang the doors on the wall and roll the top up around them. My full hard doors and 2 piece soft doors fit nicely behind it.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Nice! I had one just like this for the hard top on my wife's JK when we had the soft top on it. That one was very nicely balanced to the point that I was comfortable with it freestanding, not against a wall, in the space between our two garage doors.

With all of the glass in the back end (especially the liftgate) that ends up being the lower end on the cart, the COG is quite low despite how tall the overall package is.

City/State
    Leesville, SC
    LJ Year

Yeah, it's pretty stable. More stable than I expected. You can pull or push it around using the door openings without feeling like it's going to fall.

Thread Information