City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

OPDA - issues/comments

I thought I would start this thread since it involves 2005 & 2006 Jeeps. I don't have any personnel experience with it yet, so I'm reposting a few responses from another site. Keep in mind this thread is over 300 pages long (and still active).

Reference to modifying OEM part...

[I'd go with the Oil Cup mod vs. the original grease fitting mod if your looking to experiment with the Mopar OPDA. I looked into the original grease fitting mod years ago and you basically have to guess how much grease you need to inject and check the OPDA fairly often. If you overfill it, it could cause binding of the shaft as well and grease has to be added every now and then. I also considered that some types of grease in low temps could possibly cause binding of the shaft with a cold engine since they could be less viscous than regular engine oil. The oil cup mod at least lets you monitor and add to the oil level and you can use regular old 10w30 engine oil, which is dirt cheap generally.

Those were basically the reasons why I declined that and several other modifcations listed here that looked good but seemed like only "band-aid" fixes to the problem in my opinion. Lucky for me, I didn't have a problem with my original, un-pulled/un-modified OPDA until this week and have a Dorman on standby to replace it. Good luck though if you try either modification as it would be interesting to see the results vs. the Dorman OPDA as I'm not 100% sold on a permanent solution to this problem yet.]

And why you might not have to modify anymore...

[This is from my own observations of my two OPDA's (Mopar and Dorman) and what I read in this thread: The Dorman doesn't need any modifications like the ones listed in the beginning of the thread. It uses a bronze upper bushing that is able to receive lubrication from the engine oil all the way to the top of the OPDA shaft. This eliminates the binding issues on the upper shaft that plagues the OEM Mopar OPDA for 05-06 TJ's. The 05-06 OEM Mopar OPDA uses a steel bushing that is sealed off from the lower part of the shaft so it receives no lubrication from the engine oil. It relies on a small amount of grease in the upper bushing housing, which is inadequate to lube the bushing and the upper part of the shaft, resulting in binding. The binding of the shaft can cause abnormal wear on the OPDA gear, which in turn can cause extra wear on the cam gear. The "laughing monkey" sound is actually when the upper shaft is binding bad enough to cause the entire shaft to seize, which causes OPDA failure and in some cases, major engine damage.

The reason why there are so many modifications in the early pages of the thread is because the Dorman OPDA was not available until the end of 2012. There were no options for the past several years other than to mod an OEM Mopar OPDA since all of the 05-06 Mopar units, new and old are defective by design.]

But there's more...

[The Dorman may not be the answer we hoped for. Besides some reports here of bad sensors, there are some having bushing issues.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/do...ml#post9780578

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post16731609

The potential problem with the Dorman is that like the OEM units there is no lubrication to the top bushing. They use a bronze bushing rather than the OEM steel ones but without lube I have to wonder if even bronze will last. Time & miles will answer that. There are already a couple reports of bushing failure. They may be only isolated cases, we’ll see.

The stripper guy mod looks sound but as noted above there is a failure of the BOTTOM bushing which also may well be an isolated case. Again we’ll see. It is also possible for defective castings to keep lube from getting to the top of the lower bushing.

Maybe bronze is not suitable for bushings in these units, especially the bottom one that has side loading from the dizzy action with added loading from driving the oil pump. From the photo above I’m not sure that is the case here, depending on how the unit was clocked when installed. The side loading force will be away from the cam center line. The cam moving front or back in the engine (cam walk) won’t affect the side loading on the OPDA shaft. That load is from the force of the 2 gears trying to separate caused by the drag on the OPDA shaft which includes the normal drag from the oil pump. There is a very good article explaining this here:

http://www.classicinlines.com/DizzyGear.asp

The original modification used grease to lube the top bushing on the OEM units, the reason Willy started this thread. Some of us modified that idea to use oil with variations on the so called FOGMod grease setup. With the stripper guy mod & the release of the Dorman unit there have been virtually no postings of grease/oil mods being done. I have followed this issue here & elsewhere since early 2011 & have traced the first use of the grease mods to at least Jan, 2010. I have not seen one reported failure of any OPDAs using either grease or oil to lube the top bushing. I have a little over 8,000 miles on my oil cup mod with no problems to my original unit.

It is worth noting that the OEM has a seal between the top & bottom bushings but it has been reported that the Dorman does not have that seal. If true (I haven’t personally verified that), the oil mod & probably the grease one too should only be done on the OEM units. The seal is needed to contain the oil on the top bushing & probably the grease too. The exception to this is the mod Big Bob used that had constant oil pumped to the top busing which would work on the Dorman but on the OEM only if the seal is removed.]

***If you want to read more, a good place to start is around page 315. At least it's from this year (2014).***

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20.../index315.html

...and please read page 1 if you are unfamiliar with this issue.

Please add any info or experience you have with this problem.
    Last edited by 1 Long TJ; 06-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Re: OPDA - issues/comments

New & Improved part...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_688722426762726.jpeg 
Views:	1981 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	37160

City/State
    Bowmanville, ON
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Good info... Spent a lot of time reading up on this after you posted the first post. Is there a part number for that one from Crown? I didnt see it on that picture. I want to get one...

Thanks for posting this.

Edit: Found this http://www.crownautomotive.net/produ...3010624AC.html
    Last edited by Bad Karma; 06-06-2014 at 10:26 PM.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

I'm sure it's somewhere in that long-*** thread, but we ordered a Rubicon LJ from the factory to our specs at a dealer shortly after they became available. It took a couple months of delays before ANYTHING happened with our order and then they came back to tell us that the entire assembly line had been halted due to cam/engine issues. We ended up canceling the order and found our LJ on a lot 4 hours away after a lot of phone calls.

Then, within the first year, I have the paperwork in my file, we got the recall on the cam gear/cam where some got a new cam gear (maybe it was the whole OPDA?) and a smaller number needed a new cam as well. We were the latter and they had to tear into our brand new Jeep engine.

I need to pull mine and see what's going on with it...

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

I remember somewhere in that long-*** thread it talks about the cam and OPDA being two different problems. I'll try to find more on that.

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Just ordered a crown unit. Heard they were stopping production. Plan to check mine for wear pretty soon, might go ahead and put the new one in. PO replaced engine at 60K and I don't know why or what parts were reused. Coming up on 100K (with no symptoms), but it would be good peace of mind.

Thread Information