City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Need a Roof Rack

I need a roof rack. Doesn't have to be too heavy duty, mainly for carrying surfboards and paddleboards. Surfboards are between 6-9ft. SUPs can be about 9-12ft. Been searching around and reading comments. From what I read, smittybuilt is one of the most cost effective but folks seemed to say they were noisy. Looks like the Kargo master congo cage is a option as well. Then seem to get pricier after that. Was hoping to find something on craigslist and save some money but of course the only ones I have ever seen were before I got my LJ.

Suggestions? Anyone found anything else or made something up?

I have a soft top. I will probably not remove the whole top very often because I carry my dog around a lot and he needs the shade, but I do use the sunrider part often so I need to be able to get it open easily.

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

Re: Need a Roof Rack

I little off topic, but if you need shade for your dog, the spider wabe shade is better then the soft top, air is moving better, cause the shade is more a net than a tarp.

I have noe relation with them, but I just like it. Never removed it.

As for the rack, in my mine, they are a pain, cause I like to remove my top. Sea kayak goes on a trailer with the kayak craddle on tubular rack.
    Last edited by Lucky j; 07-15-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Typo

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Thanks for the suggestion on the shade. I will look into it.

I probably will have to use a rack. I drive on the beach here and a trailer would be a little complicated. Plus cost is a issue as well. The equipment I carry is too big to fit inside the jeep and I also have pssengers. I'll look around and see whats out there. No big rush.

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

So, ordered a smittybuilt today. May regret it because I heard they rust easy but was the cheapest by a good amount. Also liked they way it mounts. Looks like i can use the sunrider easily by leaving removing the first crossbar. And since the crossbars are part of the rack I can carry my surfboards without having to purchase anything extra. Should be in next week. I'll post up once I get it installed. Now if I can just get the hinge/windshield bolts out........ Pretty sure they are ALL rusted in.

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Rack just got here. Hope to install this weekend if I can get all the rusted bolts out. Jeep already had a Warn rear bumper when I got it. Hope it doesn't cause an issue with the install. Instructions are not too detailed so have to see what it looks like when I start putting things together.

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Got the rack on. Wasn't too bad thanks to some friends and a impact wrench. I like the look. Seems pretty solid. I have hauled some paddleboards with it no problem. Crossbars are well spaced for that. I will take pics and go into more details later when I have time in case anyone else is considering buying one.

Couple things I think could be better:
    -the hardware is OK, but it is hex head and the wrench is cheap and doesn't really fit the bolts well.
    -Instructions were a little vague, that could just be me but more detail would have been nice.

Couple things that need improvement for my application:
    -with pads on the crossbars they are close enough to the soft top that the top flaps a little and is noisy.
    -due to the design of the front supports ( which I like)my mirror relocation brackets won't work where they are supposed to mount. I will let you know how I solve this one

I have not used my sunrider or taken the top down since I installed the rack. I will post back on how well that goes. I want to try leaving the front crossbar off and see if the sunrider will open with no interference. I really like having the top open or off and of course I knew going in that a rack would make that a little more difficult. Let you know what happens there as well.

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

I will follow your post for sure! :)

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Attachment 37411Finally had time to take some pics. Here is the rack installed. I think it makes the tires look too small. Of course I want bigger tires anyway so I already thought they looked a little small.

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

I also think I may have the rear portion mounted on the wrong side of the bumper support. I have a warn rear bumper that was rusted on. I need to clean it up and get the broken bolts out of it, then I can paint it and see if It works with the rack. If not I'll go with something else. Think if I move the rear supprt to the other side it will work with the bumper. We will see.

The other pic, is how I temporarily rigged my mirror until I can find a way to mount it on there better. That is a relocation bracket flipped upside down and bolted on. One of my friends said we can cut the bracket and add a new plate, but not sure if I want to hack up the good brackets yet. Open to suggestions on this. I like running without the doors so wanted the mirror somewhere other than the door so I could take them off easily and not have to bolt on a mirror. Anyone else have this type of rack and found a way to mount the mirrors?

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

Fisrt time a I see a rack like that on a TJ. Almost make it look like a school bus. Sorry, but it make the jeep looks really square.

As for the tires, they do look small, but have a feeling that they look small sith the jeep as is. Do you have a lift on it, and what is the actual tire size.

But the rack look sturdy.

As for the miroor braquet, I use to have a an olympic rack and a safari snorkle on a YJ. The miror bracket I got before all that extra hardware looked like yours. Only way do make the mirror bracket happen, was to modified them or bult an other set. Even had to modified the rack leg to make the snorkel happen. Those thing are not made to work together cause often made buy different company.

Keep working at it, it will work out ok! :)

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Ha ha. Yeah, it does make it look kinda square. Thats ok though, it works well for what I need and like the look. I also found that if I remove the front crossbar The sunrider folds back perfect, and i think the other bars are spaced well enough to still carry what I need. I'll find out this weekend because I'll probably head to the beach.

Lift: previous owner lifted it. Think its a 3.25" rough country. Tires are 31x10.5x15 on stock rims. I will change those when the right deal comes along. I want about a 33" tire if it fits/works Ok with that lift, and ideally a 10" wide rim. Or a set of the 16x8 rubicon/moab wheels. I like those also. We will see what comes along. Haven't seen any good deals lately. My parts fund is low now anyway.

Summer is drawing to a close and in the next couple months I'll have the doors on most of the time so the mirror wont be as important then. That may end up as a winter project.

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

3,25" lift, I see no problems with 33".

I run 33" with 3.5" and plenty of space. And if you go with wide wheels, the hight will be lower a bit on the tires.

And yes, 31" with 3.25" lift would explain the small tire look.

But no matter what, it is still a nice machine!!! :)

Thread Information