Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

2006 LJ Rubicon Wheel Upgrade

When i bought my 06 LJ Rubicon, it already had a 3" lift and 17" x 8" Bling Polished Aluminum Wheels with 285-75-17 BFG Muds on it. The Combo is fine except i hate the Wheels. Looking to get some proper Black 17's to swap the tires onto. Just curious what aftermarket wheels people like and have used with a similar combo. I just want simple functional black wheels with 4-4 1/2" Backspace and that not so shiny bling thing going on.

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Re: 2006 LJ Rubicon Wheel Upgrade

"Proper" black wheels?

Sorry, I can't stand black wheels. And I can't believe the fad has lasted as long as it has.

Maybe I'll like your old ones. Are they for sale?
    Last edited by 1 Long TJ; 12-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.

City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Yea there for sale. I don't know if it's a fan I just don't see any place for chrome on my Jeep There are no other bright components except maybe the headlights.

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

I have to confess, I prfer black wheels too. So sad! ;)

City/State
    Chester, Mass.
    LJ Year

I like my stock Rubicon rims. I painted a set of Canyons black one time and was not a fan of it. But post pics when your done and we will let you know, objectively of course, what we think.
    (Even if our thoughts don't matter)

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

I have to confess, I prfer black wheels too. So sad! ;)
    Seems like everyone went crazy for black wheels about 4 or 5 years ago. So, did you jump on the bandwagon or have you always had black wheels on all your vehicles?

City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Long TJ View Post
    Seems like everyone went crazy for black wheels about 4 or 5 years ago. So, did you jump on the bandwagon or have you always had black wheels on all your vehicles?
    Black on all my vehicles. Except my wifes Buick. I just like the contrast and the wheels I have on the jeep are hideous even if we're black I'd replace.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

The Midwest is usually behind on trends, but I think the next "fad" will be (body) color matched wheels. If you have a black vehicle, then you're ahead of the game.

Sorry this got so off topic.

City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

I ended up getting some simple 6061 Al black wheels with fake beadlock bolts. I like the look better and i do know about the midwest but there is no trend in AZ to color matched wheels on much of anything. Tuner cars maybe. I would say more than 50% of the jeeps here with aftermarket wheels have black or black with accents. And closer to 80% of the people that actually wheel there jeeps have black wheels. I am a little disappointed that all i got i nthe is tread is grief and opinions about color. Not one constructive comment concerning size, width brand etc. Oh Well I attached a very compressed picture of the old wheel and the Jeep as it is now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171223_1247171.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	37463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171223_1242564.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	37464

City/State
    Coastal, NC
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Looks good. When I got my LJ it already had a lift as well, but stock 15" rims and 31s. After a lot of craigslist searching ( trying not to spend too much) I ended up getting a set of used stock moab rims and splurged on new BFGs ( I think 285/75x16). Happy with mine but all I do is around town and on the beach. Hoping to actually do some trail riding at some point so we will see how it does with that combo then. Doesn't seem like it will rub or anything though.

Did you or the previous owner regear for the bigger tires?

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Long TJ View Post
    Well, I guess I started it all, cause I have had black wheels on my jeep for at least 15 years. Guess it took time to move from Quebec to the US. ;) and I do not do things for others, but for me. And since they get scatched off road, the are easy to touch up compare to shiny stuff.
    Last edited by Lucky j; 01-23-2018 at 07:44 PM.

City/State
    Les Escoumins, Qc
    LJ Year

Quote Originally Posted by h8pvmnt View Post
    I am a little disappointed that all i got i nthe is tread is grief and opinions about color. Not one constructive comment concerning size, width brand etc. ........ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171223_1247171.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	37463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171223_1242564.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	37464
    Hey come on now, I am with you on black wheels. But you are letting me down here with chrome. ;)

Ah, I have to say. i am not a fan of fake stuff. If I go beadlock, then I go beadlock full blast. Not fake ones. ;) and they are black (the off roads beedlock wheels I mean, with boggers). :)
    Last edited by Lucky j; 01-23-2018 at 07:45 PM.

City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

Quote Originally Posted by Imposter71 View Post
    Looks good. When I got my LJ it already had a lift as well, but stock 15" rims and 31s. After a lot of craigslist searching ( trying not to spend too much) I ended up getting a set of used stock moab rims and splurged on new BFGs ( I think 285/75x16). Happy with mine but all I do is around town and on the beach. Hoping to actually do some trail riding at some point so we will see how it does with that combo then. Doesn't seem like it will rub or anything though.

Did you or the previous owner regear for the bigger tires?
    No still running the stock 410s with the 285s. Offroad it's no issue at highway speeds I'm turning the engine a little more than i like and it affects fuel mileage. I have an auto so it's not terrible. I've built several jeeps from stock to wild and I told myself i was basically leaving this one as I found it. I don't intend to hardcore wheel it. And the touch up factor for black wheels is exactly why true wheelers like the black wheels. I too had black wheels on my cj7 in 2000.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

City/State
    Highland, IL
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

true wheelers like the black wheels
    Hope that wasn't a shot at me?

City/State
    Gilbert, AZ
    LJ Year
    Year Purchased

No Shots at Anything, My Tube buggy has Black Raceline Beadlocks with 43" Swamper TSL Stickies, that's my "Offroad Vehicle" The LJ is my expedition vehicle. The Fake bolts don't thrill me but really who cares, its like any wheel they have accents. Didn't just want black steel wheels so i got what was available and looked good to me. Functional, the bolts will protect the edge from rocks a little and i can touch up with a black paint pen. Win Win. Did not want beadlocks on the street mainly because its a pain in the *** to mount tires yourself in the garage. No tire shops around here will mount a tire on a beadlock. Or even know what a beadlock is. So i figure why have them on a vehicle that doesn't need them. To each his own. Thanks for the positive feedback. As time goes on this forum will die with the LJ. Hopefully some of us keep it alive and keep the LJ's alive.

Thread Information